Monday, September 25, 2006

Clash of the Diet


We are having a  bit of a clashing of parenting when it comes down to Cammy’s eating habits. Jerry is of the school of restriction, and I am of the school of moderation, you know, teach them the path to walk… etc. Neither of us was able to watch Cammy particularly well during the party and she had free reign of the chocolate fountain (I didn’t think she could reach up there, but alas she can) and friends gave her what ever she asked for. I gave her a little lasagna which she didn’t seem too thrilled with. And she ate a lot of fruit while I was making the platters to accompany the chocolate fountain. However I think she did have too much candy on Saturday, but how often does that amount of sugar happen for her? But it caused quite the conversation on Sunday after she got home and asked me for a Sprite and I said sure. (which to me means giving her like a fourth of a can.) Her dad responded like I was giving her a five pound bag of sugar and a spoon.
Okay maybe not that dramatic but hey, its my blog, I‘ll remember it how I wanna.  
She was a infant the last time we broke that thing out so, that would be never. We don’t trick or treat so we don’t have that mountain of candy to contend with in October. Her normal candy consumption consists of a dum dum pop. possibly up to three, if shes able to get over on me, and daddy, and grandmother.

And the nutritional value of a dum dum pop?

Serving size: 2 pops (13 grams)
Calories: 51
Total fat: 0 grams
Trans fat: 0 grams
Sodium:0
Total carbs: 13 grams
Sugars: 10 grams
Protein: 0 grams

That means if she gets over on us all and has three a day, she’s probably consumes all of 15 grams of sugar,  just over how much she gets from a single packet of instant oatmeal… (not including all the doctoring granny does to the oatmeal which normally does include an additional sprinkle of brown sugar)

Calories 130
Calories from Fat 25 
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.5 g  4%
Saturated 0.5g    3%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 190mg    8%
Total Carbohydrate 27g   9%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Soluble Fiber 1g
Sugars 12g
Protein 3g

I understand his concerns but I think the panic was out of place. Kids who drink soda and juice rather than water and non sweetened drinks, (pray tell what other  things can you give a kid that has no sugar in them? Honestly? Milk, she’s allergic and drinks soy mostly which has a lot of sugar in it I’ve found.) Kids who eat large amounts of candy daily and all these things have a higher chance of  becoming obese and they start eating habits that are hard to break. But I don’t believe we are instilling those types of bad eating habits. I am very aware of what we give her and what we offer her, daily, how often we give her sweet things, vs good snacks, and fruit. And we work hard as a family to instill good habits.  
She brushes as many times a day as you will let her. Normally three times. In the morning with granny, after work with me, and at bed time with daddy. She eats during the day, although granny does too many fast food things at lunch time, cause they are on the move so often, but she gets good dinner, and good fiber filled breakfast, normally she eats it well. She’s likes to eat veggies when I’m prepping for making dinner, will try anything if you let her, but she’s always been a majority meat eater. Like carrot sticks and spinach, and sometimes broccoli. She likes salad, and apples, and strawberries, and pineapple, but on her own terms. And I’m okay with that, I give her a lot of choices and hope she’s eating enough to be okay.
But I don’t believe I’ve set her on the road to obesity cause she’s allowed to have dum dum pops or her vitamins are gummy bears. She is fond of Gummies and lemon heads and is allowed to have them (one or the other) from the local Bissengers when we go to the mall.  I think our personal eating encourages variety and  trying new things. How many toddlers you know love pad tai? and Curry? She loves sushi. (we only give her the cooked fish pieces for now) She loves Chinese food, and hummus, she liked the Cuban food Jerry made, and the classic meals we make. She likes lamb and salmon salads. I think we are lucky in our kids eating, shoot she could be one who only eats cucumbers and grape soda. Or only red foods, (I know  a lady with a son like that) or just crunchy stuff, or only this food on Tuesday and Thursdays. Or what ever. Shes just a kid, and she eats pretty good I think.

In the words of Kat Williams
“She’s a child she’s supposed to like skittles.”  

3 Comments:

Blogger Jaelithe said...

Oh, to have these worries . . . to worry that my child might eat too much instead of worrying whether I'll get my child to eat at all! I know most parents these days are worried about childhood obesity because it IS a big problem. And yet I can barely wrap my mind around what it would be like to worry that way.

I keep wondering what I am gonna do if my next kid is a normal eater. I'll probably go nuts and start making a different thing for lunch every day of the month. I hope I won't wind up overfeeding my next child because I've spent years in food survival mode with my first. (I am already overfeeding myself because of this, heh. We have to push the high calorie foods on Isaac all the time and it's hard not to indulge in them myself when they're right in front of me).

It sounds like Cammy for the most part has a nutritious, varied diet. I understand Jerry's sugar position (we do not even keep soda in our house at all except when we have guests), but I don't think a quarter cup now and again is going to hurt her when she is clearly getting better nutrition than most kids her age when it comes to everything else. And she is so active, I am sure she burns it off very quickly!

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to water the twins' soda...if they each wanted "the can" I would make them share the soda with me and then substitute 25% of it with water. I used to mix the Honey nut cheerios with regular ones and for YEARS they didn't know. I' m sort of control freak like that, LOL! Next time you do lasagne and Jerry does Cuban...please send me some...i miss home so much!

4:45 AM  
Blogger StLmom said...

I applaud you for exposing her to a variety of foods! I don't know if this will help you to know but I was allergic to milk and outgrew it when I was 11 or 12 (didn't have an ice cream cone until I was in fifth grade -- isn't that sad!). I still can't manage the "crumbly" cheeses although I love them, but I can enjoy all other dairy now. Hopefully Cammy will outgrow it, too.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home