Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Berry good things and not so berry good


imgp6920
Originally uploaded by raquita.

It has been a full weekend, again. Kept it kind of close to home, miss a few things we wanted to do, but mostly just relaxed and had fun. Friday night, after we put Cammy to bed we had a small game night, and played Uno and Phase 10 and drank shots of tequila. It was certainly a good time had by all. Bed time. 4:30 am, thankfully our kid is a late sleeper on the weekends, we got up and went black berry picking at eleven however. We found berries bigger than I had ever seen.

It has been asked why I take Cammy picking so often, and not only is it a fun activity for a small child, it instills the idea that fruit and food in general comes from someplace other than the grocery store, and that there are real people who live and work to make all the things we enjoy, including fruit, available. Nothing in life just is, there is a process behind everything. Besides, did I mention that it is fun?
We had a chance to kind of chill out Saturday afternoon. Then we went to the mall and I picked up some supplies to work on my wedding scrapbook. Funny thing is I still need to go back and work on a few more things, you know ran out of this cool printed vellum, and should have bought more of a nifty pattern I was using. I guess I forgot that I am scrapping thirty pages and not, my normal two to four for an event. I did get a chance to paper scrap (SWEET) and my kid is so into my bent safety scissors, mainly because they were the only “lets cut something” thing she could play with.
It amazes me how into the things we are into she gets. Her dad role plays on Sundays, and she loves to get up there a toss the dice with him. I love to cook, and she loves to mix her little side dish while I’m cooking next to her. She prefers reading with her Daddy, which I really like. I like seeing them have something that is totally outside of me. She likes to do my hair to keep me from doing hers. She wants mommy to get her a bath, daddy to walk with, she likes the shoulder rides better from daddy.

We stayed up entirely too late again on Saturday, and over slept for church by about an hour. I made a blackberry cobbler from the berries we picked on Saturday and we rented movies and vegged out for most of the remainder of the evening. Cammy and I got to play little people a lot over the weekend. And its cool to watch her play make believe and pretend, and it has become apparent we need o get some kids over here to play with her, or have a play date or something. I think I’m gonna work on that today, for Sunday afternoon, or maybe Saturday.

Sunday night as I may have previously mentioned, Jerry role plays. It is his total weird geek moment, and if he had told me all about the role playing on our first date I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t be at this stage right now. So he’s smarter than the average bear. But he still role plays. For those who don’t know role playing (RPG’ing) is is a type of game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, they may improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.A role-playing game rarely has winners or losers – well that is relative (I am quick with the jokes today people!!!)

And thank you Wikipedia for the definition cause in scarcastic wife speak its “when grown ass men get together and play make believe”.

But honestly if hanging out with his friends around a dining room table playing withhis friends is my biggest headache then I am totally happy to voulenteer our dining room table any time he wants to host. Any who the group of people who come for this Sunday night ritual range in ages eighteen to roughly thirty or so. One of the younger guys brings his girlfriend every once in a while. And this week she was complaining about her mother arguing with her. And I listened from the background, and was waiting for her to get to her mothers grand transgression and funny how it never. actually. came. And then I knew, I am offically a mom. I have been transformed from general daughter, female, to a mother. Cause I was totally like, dude your mom is right.

WTF!!!!!

You guys don’t understand what this means! I am probably middle aged too. I probably am not nearly as cool as I think I am, and Cammy will (GASP!) probably be embarrassed by me once she hits her teen years. I so wanted to be the cool mom who had her healthy well adjusted childrens respect and admiration. I wanted to be the house the kids friends liked hanging out at and respected and the mom they wished for. So much for the wishes and dreams of young mothers.

Reality totaly bites.

I totally expected there to be granny panties replacing my thongs, and day dresses with clip art and die cut felt as decoration in my closet when I went to bed. I mean how dare I side with a mom who wants her child to respect their home, and for petes sake, pick up your clothes before you head out for the day.

It was hilarious how this teenager went on about how she had so many things on her plate, like worrying about the school she’d just been kicked out of, not actually doing something about it but worrying about it she said, and things, that really, I’m not saying this cause I just finished with the youth hostel myself but can be contimplated while FOLDING YOUR LAUNDRY. I did not mention this irony. I simply sugguested that perhaps to make her life easier she should attempt to cut the bytching off at the pass and do what her mom was asking, cause then she didn’t have to deal with the stress and wouldn’t that make everybody happier? She admitted that plan had some potential. And I was left to wander in this new valley of grown-up-ness all alone.

It is very important to me that my mom not read this entry. I’m sure I’ll get the smug mom thingy she does when I say ANYTHING that could be construde as me turning into her. My mom is middle aged, not me, for peets sake not me!!! you can find me whimpering in a corner later I'm sure.

Man I need a drink or something. Maybe I so should start watching BET again or something, wait, I’m trying to be hip, not kill brain cells… I guess I’ll come up with something.
imgp6892
drippy goodness

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you getting those berries? They're gorgeous!

I totally know and loathed that feeling of wow, I'm not a cool daughter anymore...I'm the old mom. I was 22. I started college when my oldest went to kindergarten and the differences between me and the other community college people was astounding. And irritating. They irritated me. I was officially old and a mom.

Yes, there must be drinks for this.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shots. I also completely identify with you on the mom-thing. It's not because we're getting older, it's because we are SO TOTALLY WISE.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Benticore said...

HA HA! You're Middle Aged! Neener Neener! I laugh because I am a man, and as we all know, men NEVER grow up...we just get wrinkly.

I didnt know my roleplaying was ever a source of embarassment or bother to you. You say it like its something to be put up with, not something to be enjoyed, although I give you total respect for Trying it with me that one time. But if you'd like me to not do it...at our house that is...thats fine. Personally, I think its a great way to engage the mind and the creative juices, plus a fun way to bond with other people. And I bet we have the highest concenctration of Black roleplayers in the city. Me, Chris and Tambora is half of our group. And when we had Ahmed before, we were TOTALLY the majority! BLACK VILLAINS AND HEROES GALORE!

So...when Cammy comes up to you one day with a character sheet talking about, 'Hey Mommy! I made this cool adventure about goblins and Pony's and Chickens that you can ride called Chocobos and I want you to make a character so I can take you through it' you'll *eventually* grant me visitation, right?

...right?

Cause that day is fast approaching. Along with 'Please' 'Thank You' 'Mommy may I' and 'I have to go Potty!', 'Roll damage for the longsword' WILL be a phrase she knows and uses in context before shes 6. I just want you to know that now.

And I dont remember Deliberately shielding my rpging tendencies from you. I told you what I did. I never really went into extravagant DETAIL, but I told you. I'd never hide something like this because its a part of who I am and where I came from and if you had a problem with it, you've really got a problem with me. Why do you think one of my Ex-gf's broke up with me on account of me being Weird and Not in a good way?

Also, the pictures dont do the blackberries justice. Those suckers were HUGE.

Benticore
Out
(HA! You're totally middle-aged now! I on the otherhand, am just as immature as I was 10 years ago! WOOOT!)
*kisses!*

3:07 PM  
Blogger Raquita said...

AS I recall you said - I'm gonna hang out with my boys on Sunday, you didn't say nothing about that whole RPG thing until I was good and in love with you already.. granted that didn't take long - and I never said you embarrased me - see ladies, this is why you don't give your hubby your blog address!! :) As a matter of fact i didn't say anything in this entry I hvaen't said to you directly on numerous occasions...
including that thatchick broke up with you cause she was stoopid, and you are weird, but that's why I like you, its part of your charm - you big lug.

and when cammy asks me to role play with her - I will grab a charater sheet and get to it, cuas I'm uber mom, and don't you forget it. but you will pay for it later... she will start dating eventually

3:26 PM  
Blogger Benticore said...

"you will pay for it later... she will start dating eventually"

...crap

Benticore
Out

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you take her berry picking and your reasons for doing so are awesome/ Becca loves Little People, dolls not so much, Little people are cool though.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Copasetic Soul said...

holla at me when you go picking apples! cause the only berry pickin
i do is at Schnucks!

If i had transportation, i would be at some of those Sunday night get togethers...

Cammy getting big..

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jaelithe said...

Isaac played with his Little People house for like half an hour today, making up conversations that the Little People were having with each other, and then when it was time for him to eat and I told him he had to stop playing, he got really upset and insisted that some of them come to lunch with him.

He calls this one geeky-looking Little Person with glasses and a calculator "Daddy."

Heh.

Anyway, you should come over here! Or Isaac and I should go over there! Or something.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Benticore said...

YES! You have said the magic words! Not this weekend because of the wedding we have to go to...but NEXT weekend. Seriously. It needs to happen.

Benticore
Out
(we're having a dessert party here in the near future I believe. dont know when. Hell, we could make it really easy and have it upstairs now. who knows. we'll keep you informed J.)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Your little girl so georgous! And I had to laugh at the chick who complained about her mom... I think your a pretty cool mama!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful idea about fruit picking. I wonder if they have something like Eckers down here!!
Cammy is so beautiful. I love your pictures. Your photography is gorgeous!!!
Love your mom part...I thought that today as I am walking my FIRST grader down the hall. Wait? first grade...as in grade school...as in ME being old enough to have a child in GRADE SCHOOL?

7:33 AM  
Blogger CousinSarah said...

Wow Ma. You had a lot goin on. LOL. Cammy is so cute. Fa Reals. :) Its crazy how they decide they like some things with Mom and some with Dad huh? They learn quick.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home