Thursday, August 04, 2005

She isn't looking for you at all, is she?

Well yesterday we took Cammy to a indoor play "group" at this place called the Little Gym. Jerry gives a really good recap on his blog - click here - go ahead I'll wait while you read it... really. Okay your back - okay so, my kid is crazy genius. We had a pretty good time. Me, J and Cammy don't get much time with other moms and parents, so it does me some good too to spend time with people who have kids my kids age. People whose kids aren't three times bigger and used to playing with kids three times bigger. I don't want Cammy growing up faster than she already is. She spends all of her time with us, and her granny and great granny and great great granny and at the senior apartment building great great gran lives in, and Jerry's friends, and my poetry spot and poets, and apparently anybody but other one year olds. This is despite the fact that at least three of my cousins have had kids in the last year too. As well as co-workers, but we've had the co-worker post already. Back to the cousins, we were never really close before - not since we were young enough not to have any preconceived notions about who we are or what the other thinks. Sad really. Anyway so I have resorted to paying for the privilege of a play date. We do go to the mall but I'd like to get her into something more structured, with the same kids so she can build some kind of friendship/relationship with some kids.
We are also considering this type of school that specializes in Montessori learning applications. I know you guys are like whut the hell is her bourgeois ass talking about now. But really its a style of learning
Montessori philosophy is finally being used as originally intended, as a method
of seeing children as they really are and of creating environments which foster
the fulfillment of their highest potential - spiritual, emotional, physical, and intellectual - as members of a family, the world community and the Cosmos. Montessori practice is always up-to-date and dynamic because observation and the meeting of needs is continual and specific for each child. When physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs are met children glow with excitement and a drive to play and work with enthusiasm, to learn, and to create. They exhibit a desire to teach, help, and care for others and for their environment.
The high level of academic achievement so common in Montessori schools is a natural outcome of experience in such a supportive environment. The Montessori method of education is a model which serves the needs of children of all levels of mental and physical ability as they live and learn in a natural, mixed-age group which is very much like the society they will live in as adults.

So I think it would fit Cammy as she is the type of child that soaks up everything around her , and if we could get her exposed to both kids her own age as well as older children she could naturally progress at her own - yes currently excelerated - pace. We have run into a small, small problem. The school we would choose for her - click here - go ahead and take a look at it.. i'll wait, okay. The school seems wonderful. I have a list of 19 schools to look into and interview.

Sub note... okay why am I mad that I'm on the phone with Spoken while I'm
writing this blog and I said "Guess how much the school I want to send Cammy
to is?" and she said - with out missing a beat mind you, "Oh several thousand
dollars."
I'm like "Woah - how'd you know?" - she says "Oh cause a Montessori school cost like a zillon dollars."
-I'm like "How'd you know I was talking about a Montessori school, I never
said that part."
-She goes "Cause you are like me and thats the school I would send my kid
to." and we both cracked up. Cause how she know I'm just like her? Depeche Mode....

But the doggone school cost like a state college, and if I had to send her to college tomorrow I'd be in deep crap too. So all we can do is start saving and making provisions so that when the time comes we can be more ready than we are right now. Ever love somebody so much that you would live on baloney and cereal to make sure they had a better chance? So our school quest has begun. I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pariah said...

I went to a Montessori preschool. I went into kindergarden at a 2nd grade level. MY parents couldn't afford to keep me in a Montessori system so the transition back to public school was very difficult. Public School at that point was boring for me. It led to the incident that I told you about Raquita and set the precedent for the rest of my education experience. So I have basically two observations from my own experience:

1. If you are going to do it, make sure that you can do it for a while. Carry it all the way through the developmental years. TRansferring into a different style of learning environement and social structure is tough during the "sponge" years

2. If Camille is as quick a learner as I anticipate her to be she will easily be ahead of her grade in years. Which could ultimately lead to awkward social situations for her in her teen years as she spends high school and college classes with kids who are older than her. It may not occur so much in college but high school definitely. I remember seeing a 16 year old boy attending classes when I was at TSU (engineering classes!) But, who do you date? Obviously 16 year olds in college are good prospects for marriage but they will definitely have a period of alone time.

Raquita remember that girl I dated last summer (we will call her "G") She was in law school at Mizzou. Graduated from USC when she was 20. As far as relationships go and interaction with the opposite sex; she was as messed up as they come.

I'm not trying to give you reservations about doing it, because I actually remember enjoying my time in the Montessori system, and there aren't many institutions I can say that about. I just want you to be prepared to help ease any difficulties that will arise later on in her life as she is accelerated.

I love the three of you as if you were my own family, and often times I think of you as my family. I think that people don't often enough let others know that they love them without wanting something in return. That being said... I love you (nah, I didn't want anything in return)

Darkside's in the house/Depeche Mode/Halo in reverse/I did it/I don't know how I did it/But, I did it/And, my head hurts

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home